Thursday, March 10, 2011

Savings you can see!

I was reflecting on boneless, skinless, chicken breasts this morning. Now, I had a dear who raised our chickens this last year...but we needed just a bit more. I have come to the wise (heehee) conclusion that it is better to buy meat with as little bone and fat as possible so that you are only buying meat. Here are the deals my local butcher offers.. All natural, no hormones or genetic modifications. Chicken breasts boneless, skinless at 2.99 a pound. 1pound ground beef tubes 1.99. This burger doesn't melt away in your pan - Less than 5% fat - extremely lean. Goes way farther than an 80/20 or 70/30 mix (which leaves you with one third meat). I found chicken breast from Great Value (yes, all natural with natural chicken broth) at our Grocery Surplus outlet for 10 pound bag for 8.99! Two dollars less than the 10 pound bag at Costco for 19.99/ Costco is your best value unlesss you have a 'ding and dent' store. Those breasts are huge! I can cook and slice one for a taco salad for this family of 8! I can bake up 3 to have generous servings for the family, (yes,we WOULD eat more if I cooked it.) Nobody goes hungry here! So BUY YOUR MEAT LEAN! Always check what you are actually getting. And don't be afraid to use a little less ground in the recipe - we will get to money saving recipes soon! Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. I have tried to convince Mom of this for years. Maybe if I tell her that you shop like this she will believe me. LOL Nicole

    ReplyDelete